Saturday, April 9, 2011

Just Another Day in Samarra


18 Feb 05:
We had just finished visiting a school with White Platoon in order to see if the principal needed any funds for supplies and everyone was loaded up in the HMMWV to drive away.  We started moving south when we heard a loud explosion that rocked our vehicle.  My gunner was momentarily blinded from the dust and smoke that was kicked up and all of our ears were ringing.  I told my driver to drive about fifty yards out of the immediate area and then I got on the radio and asked the Bradley Fighting Vehicle (BFV) behind us if he saw what the explosion was.  He said an unseen insurgent had lobbed a grenade over a wall to our east and a squad was being dismounted to clear the building.  It was common for insurgents to try and lob grenades into the gunner's hatch of HMMWVs and thankfully this guy missed and it landed beside our truck.  Our vehicle had a flat left rear tire and the rear window on that side had a few pock marks, but everything else was fine.  They didn’t catch the insurgent who threw the grenade, but I was thankful that my crew was okay.      

No comments:

Post a Comment