Tuesday, July 26, 2011

BMW R1200GS

I just realized that I hadn't written anything on my blog since April...talk about dropping the ball!  But anyway, life has changed drastically since my last post.  It is all due to the fact that we are at West Point now!  Thus far, this post has been a great time for family...even when I was working with cadet summer training immediately upon arrival and when I was rehearsing all my classes that I will start teaching cadets next month.  The month of July has been a whirlwind since it includes both Leigh's and my birthday.  We bought some expensive gifts for each other (to include a mountain bike, crossfit garage gym, and a motorcycle) and we'll have to settle down next month.  But let me get one thing straight...this post is about the motorcycle!  I am ecstatic...no...I'm excited beyond words...no...I'm speechless with the deal that I received on this motorcycle.  First of all, the MSRP on this bike from a dealer is $14,990 before taxes and registration.  Add NY taxes, registration, and additional accessories and it increases the total to around $18,000.  This is for a motorcycle!!  Holy crap!!  This is why the bike has always been a pipe dream to me and nothing more.  But I thought I might buy a used bike that was in my price range.  After scanning ebay for two weeks (and the past 12 years, but who's counting!) I realized that the resale value on these bikes was amazing.  I was watching five year old bikes with over 20,000 miles go for more than $10,000 on ebay!  So I tried craig's list and saw THE bike that was meant for me.  A 2010 sapphire black R1200GS with only 1800 miles on it...and it had over $2,000 worth of accessories on it.  However, the seller wanted $1500 more than I was willing to pay.  I sent him a quick e-mail with an offer and did not expect any reply since I was kind of lowballing him.  Surprisingly, he told me that he needed the money and would sell it if I had cash in hand and could buy it that weekend.  Fast forward two days and I was riding a "like new" R1200GS home from Brooklyn in 107 degree temperatures.  Even more impressive, Leigh and the kids were there for moral support the entire time (Leigh has so much patience with me!).  After waiting for over ten years, I finally bought the motorcycle I was drooling over and it was for the exact price that I was able to pay, which happened to be close to $6,000 below the actual value.  

No comments:

Post a Comment